Sweet and a little bit spicy, these Jalapeño, Corn & Bacon Everything Seasoning Muffins will be your new favorite to serve for breakfast, next to chili or soup, or on their own!
There’s EVERYTHING to love about my EVERYTHING bagel muffins with bacon, corn, jalapeño, and cheddar! Buttermilk and a bit of corn flour give it a some tang and texture and well...try to eat just one. You can’t do it! A dozen of these lasted our family about 12 hours. Maybe.
So, there's not actually bagel in these muffins. That would be just plain silly. The everything refers to the everything bagel seasoning that is liberally sprinkled on top. Could you buy premade everything bagel seasoning at your local Hipster Joe's mega market? Sure! But there's a certain satisfaction in making something simple, but ultra tasty, with your own hands. So if you want to buy your seasoning, go for it! This is a no judgement blog. But if you want to make your own, I've got you covered! Now let's get to making some of the most flavorful muffins you'll ever overeat in your life!
Looking for more savory breakfast recipes?
- Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
- Ham and Swiss Buttermilk Biscuits
- Chorizo and Potato Tacos
- Smoked Salmon “Everything Bagel” Frittata
Jalapeño Corn & Bacon Muffins
Everything Bagel Seasoning (This will make a bunch. You'll want some for other sprinkling adventures.😎)
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 2 tbs white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 3 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup corn flour or fine corn meal
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil or melted butter
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup drained and finely chopped pickled jalapeños
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn (use fresh when available!)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, corn meal, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the egg, milk, and oil (or butter) until well combined. (I prefer to use canola oil here because when using butter the muffins are more dense when they have cooled to room temperature. Canola oil doesn't solidify, thereby maintaining a moist texture. But if you plan to eat all of these right away, and prefer the taste of the butter, by all means, use it!)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. The batter will be lumpy. Do not over-mix or the muffins will become tough. Fold in jalapeños, cheese, corn, and bacon.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. I like to use a ¼ cup ice cream scoop for easy batter plopping. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of everything seasoning on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 F for about 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. These can be eaten just as is or with a schmear of butter. I like to use my own corn butter, which is crazy delicious! I'll share that with you in a future post. Try not to eat them all at once. It will be difficult. Be strong.
The nutritional and caloric information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It does not assert or suggest that readers should or should not count calories, and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s or doctor’s counseling.
Thank you for embedding little tips into the recipe! Super helpful
You're welcome! I hope you get a chance to make them!
Michael Egan says